More than 200 guests gathered at the DoubleTree Hotel in downtown Little Rock on Monday, May 10, to honor and celebrate Mount St. Mary Academy’s sports teams, student-athletes and coaching staff during the school’s annual Athletic Banquet.
Coaches introduced their respective teams during the event and presented the traditional awards for each player based on her years of participation. First-year players received a certificate, second-year players were given a MSM letter and symbol of the sports in which they played, third-year players received the coveted white sweatshirt with their name and sports monogrammed on the sleeves, and fourth-year players were gifted a wooden memento box engraved with their athletic accomplishments.
The recipients of a handful of special awards, which are selected by MSM athletic staff, were also announced during the banquet. This year’s winners include the following:
- Msgr. Keany Award: Millie Allgood ’22
- Donnie Bridges Award: Hannah Denery ’21
- Sr. Phillipa Athletic Award: Abbey Moore ’21
- Sr. Mary Phillipa Parent Award: Meredith Snape
- Sr. Phillipa Manning Memorial Scholarship: Libby Franks ’21
- Mary Drake Award: Isabelle Todd ’22
- Purple Heart Award: Olivia Chambers ’21 and Katie Wilcox ’21
- Vassar-West Scholarship: Isabel Chaidez ’22
- Marilyn Lenggenhager Passionate Athlete Award: Haley Draeger ’22
- Manager of the Year: Mia Aquino ’22 and Becca Besier ’22
- Most Valuable Freshman Award: Madeline McNeill ’24
- Most Valuable Belle: Chloe Gourde ’21
Thirty-one student-athletes were recognized as Four-Year Scholars, having participated in athletics for all four years of high school and graduating with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. Chloe Gourde was awarded the Top Scholar Athlete Award for maintaining the highest academic average while also participating in the athletic program at Mount.
MSM Athletic Director Lane West honored the coaching staff at the event, as well, and paid special tribute to two members who are retiring from their coaching duties this year: Stephanie Boccarossa Pierce ’06 and Ashley Boccarossa McNatt ’03, who have dedicated 14 years and 4 years, respectively, to coaching soccer at their alma mater.
Congratulations to all of this year’s hard-working and dedicated student-athletes and their coaches.
Mount St. Mary Academy, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, develops young women with a moral and intellectual foundation rooted in Catholic tradition. Mercy-minded and college-prepared, our students meet the future with wisdom, compassion and integrity.