This year’s annual Athletic Banquet was canceled due to COVID-19, but that didn’t stop Mount St. Mary Academy from celebrating its sports teams, student-athletes and coaching staff. The school held a virtual Athletic Awards Celebration on Monday, May 11, during which Principal Sara Jones and Athletic Director Marilyn Lenggenhager recognized the accomplishments of the 2019-2020 teams and announced the recipients of this year’s special awards.
The winners of this year’s special awards, which are selected by MSM athletic staff, include the following:
- Fr. Keaney Award: Kaitlin Tarini ’20
- Donnie Bridges Award: Cami Kita ’20
- Sara Fritz Outstanding Student Athletic Trainer Award: Catherine Althoff ’20
- Sr. Phillipa Athletic Award: Lauren Loeb ’20 and Lily Wewers ’20
- Sr. Phillipa Parent Award: Kim Markland and Kate Franks
- Sr. Phillipa Memorial Scholarship: Sarah Johnson ’20 and Catherine Althoff ’20
- Mary Drake Award: Millie Allgood ’22
- Purple Heart Award: Presley Southerland ’20
- Vassar-West Scholarship: Mia Aquino ’22
- Marilyn Lenggenhager Passionate Athlete Award: Cami Kita ’20 and Fran Edwards ’21
- Manager of the Year: Sarah Kate McConnell ’22
- Most Valuable Freshman Award: Alexia Coca ’23 and Blair Barnett ’23
- Most Valuable Belle: Kaitlin Tarini ’20
Thirteen student-athletes were recognized as Four-Year Scholar Athletes, having participated in athletics for all four years of high school and graduating with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. Lily Wewers was awarded the Top Scholar Athlete award for maintaining the highest GPA while also participating in the athletic program at Mount.
The virtual event also honored the coaching staff and paid special tribute to three coaches who are retiring from their coaching duties this year: Bubba Klugh (golf), Brian Loeb (golf) and Chuck Toomer (cross country).
View the virtual Athletic Awards Celebration online at https://youtu.be/oN5xGjD-wFw.
Congratulations to all of this year’s hard-working and dedicated student-athletes and their coaches. We are proud of you and all you do for Mount St. Mary and its athletic program.
Mount St. Mary Academy, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, develops young women with a moral and intellectual foundation rooted in Catholic tradition. Mercy-minded and college-prepared, our students meet the future with wisdom, compassion and integrity.