Mount St. Mary Academy was blessed to award 28 scholarships totaling over $80,000 to students during its annual Underclass Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, May 15, in the McAuley Center Gym. Several donors and other representatives of the various endowed scholarships were in attendance to present the awards to this year’s deserving recipients.
Dozens of additional academic honors were also awarded and celebrated. The school’s various academic departments honored the students’ accomplishments in the classroom, and their participation and achievement in clubs, organizations and other activities such as Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society and Odyssey of the Mind were recognized, as well.
During the ceremony, MSM English teacher Monica Madey ’06 was recognized as this year’s recipient of the John and Patricia Bailey Family Distinguished Teaching Award for exhibiting overall excellence in teaching during the 2019-2020 school year. Mrs. Madey also serves as advisor to the Odyssey of the Mind team and Belle Raisers club at the Mount. Additionally, MSM parent Kim Markland was named Volunteer of the Year for her dedication to supporting the school and its students though her involvement and leadership with the Belle Booster Club and Mercy & Me committee.
Congratulations to all of our outstanding students for their academic accomplishments, especially this year’s scholarship recipients:
- McAuley Achievement Award: Abby Caldarera ’20, Anne Marie Coy ’21, Abbey Moore ’21, Paloma Moreno ’20, Emily Roach ’21 and Annie Wendel ’22
- Sr. Deborah Troillett, RSM ’73 Endowed Scholarship: Sophie Mammarelli ’20
- Mary Drake Scholarship: Brynne Johnson ’21
- Spirit of ’95 Scholarship: Anne Lashbrook ’20
- Class of 2009 SISTER Scholarship: Catherine Althoff ’20
- Sandra Gueydan Hickey ’66 Scholarship: Naomi Moreland ’20
- Alana Wolfe Memorial Scholarship: Stacy Torres ’20
- Wells Summer Engineering Academy Scholarship: Summer Craig ’20
- Wells Pre-Engineering Scholarship: Cecelia Rech ’20
- Ma Family Endowed Scholarship: America Alejandri ’20
- Judith Wrappe Scholarship: Cecilia Ilg ’20, Macy Ramiro ’22 and Emily Roach ’21
- Evelyn J. Coulter Thomas ’30 Scholarship: Addie Grace Coleman ’20 (for dance), Sam Heck ’20 (for fine literature) and Amelia Ochoa ’20 (for music)
- Mercy Opportunity Scholarship: Grace Blagg ’20, Isabella Boyd ’20, Anna Palmer ’20, Ava Sanders ’20, Lily Wewers ’20 and Annison Yates ’20
- Melissa Ma ’98 Endowed Scholarship: Kennedy Fogleman ’20
View more photos from this year’s Underclass Awards Ceremony at https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcquH3B.
Mount St. Mary Academy, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, develops young women with a moral and intellectual foundation rooted in Catholic tradition. Mercy-minded and college-prepared, our students meet the future with wisdom, compassion and integrity.