Must be Mount Girls! Cameron H. ’19 and Lexi C. ’18 were accepted to the UAMS HEALERS program (Health Education Active Learning Experience for Regional Scholars). The HEALERS program is a hands-on, interactive program open to high school students in Pulaski County who are interested in serving the community through the medical field. Out of hundreds of applicants only twelve students are selected each year to participate in the program; this year’s HEALERS program will be held from June 12 to June 23, 2017.
The HEALERS program allows students to:
- Learn and ask questions about a variety of medical careers directly from a professional in that field.
- Learn how to administer first aid to accident victims to include bandaging, control of bleeding, splinting and spinal immobilization.
- Learn how to administer Basic Life Support (CPR).
- Demonstrate a better understanding of medical terminology.
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of teenage health-related issues, enabling each individual to make better informed decisions based on scientific data.
- To gain experience in a clinical setting through active volunteering.
Congratulations, Cameron and Lexi!