Mount St. Mary Academy was blessed to award 26 scholarships totaling nearly $104,000 to students during its annual Underclass Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 19, in the McAuley Center Gym. Donors of several the endowed scholarships were in attendance to help present the awards to this year’s deserving recipients, which made the event even more special.
Dozens of additional academic honors were also awarded and celebrated. The school’s various academic departments honored the students’ accomplishments in the classroom, and their participation and achievement in clubs, organizations and other activities such as Student Council, yearbook, newspaper, the fine and performing arts, and Odyssey of the Mind were recognized, as well.
During the ceremony, Rachel McLemore was recognized as this year’s recipient of the Bailey Family Distinguished Teaching Award for exhibiting overall excellence in teaching during the 2021-2022 school year. In addition to teaching social studies courses at MSM, Ms. McLemore is the Sophomore Class Sponsor, coaches the Cross Country Belles and Quiz Bowl team, and serves as advisor to several students organizations, including Model UN, Students of Color Alliance and Young Changemakers Club.
Congratulations to all of our outstanding students for their academic accomplishments, especially this year’s scholarship recipients (in order of appearance during event):
- McAuley Achievement Award: Elizabeth Hunter ’24, Amaria Love ’25, Kathryn Morris ’23, Lindsey Morris ’25, Isabelle Nguyen ’25 and Eliza Spellins ’23
- Sr. Deborah Troillett, RSM ’73 Endowed Scholarship: Lilli Brooks ’23
- Mary Drake Scholarship: Eliza Jane Null ’24
- Spirit of ’95 Scholarship: Sarah Rounsaville ’23
- Class of 2009 SISTER Scholarship: Belle Mentgen ’23
- Sandra Gueydan Hickey ’66 Scholarship: Autumn Moss ’23
- Alana Wolfe Memorial Scholarship: Millie Ketcher ’23
- Wells Pre-Engineering Scholarship: Megan Denery ’23
- Well Summer Engineering Academy Scholarship: Savannah Eanes ’24
- Judith Wrappe Scholarship: Cat Michaels ’23, Savvy Straessle ’24 and Ann Marie Nguyen ’25
- Jennifer Boccarossa Music Scholarship: Annabelle Owen ’25
- Evelyn J. Coulter Thomas ’30 Scholarship: Gabriella Angtuaco ’23 (for music), Chloe Chandler ’23 (for fine literature) and Grey Parrish ’23 (for dance)
- Annalisa “Magdalena” McClendon Travel Grant: Madeline Dalton ’23
- Bella Brown “THINK” Scholarship: Belle Mentgen
- Melissa Ma ’98 Endowed Scholarship: Emely Gonzalez ’23
- Ma Family Endowed Scholarship: Julieanne Brown ’23
We also wish to thank the many donors who have so graciously created these endowed scholarships to assist students. In addition to the ones presented during the Underclass Awards Ceremony, additional scholarships totaling more than $38,000 were given to seniors during the Senior Recognition Ceremony on May 18.
Mount St. Mary Academy, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, develops young women with a moral and intellectual foundation rooted in Catholic tradition. Mercy-minded and college-prepared, our students meet the future with wisdom, compassion and integrity.