Mount St. Mary Academy was blessed to present 24 scholarships and awards totaling more than $50,000 during its annual Underclass Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 20. This year’s event was held virtually and livestreamed across campus for students, faculty and staff to watch from their classrooms and offices.
Dozens of additional academic honors were also awarded and celebrated. The school’s various academic departments honored the students’ accomplishments in the classroom, and their participation and achievement in clubs, organizations and other activities such as Student Council, Yearbook, Concert Belles and Odyssey of the Mind were recognized, as well.
During the ceremony, Susan Moore was recognized as this year’s recipient of the John and Patricia Bailey Family Distinguished Teaching Award for exhibiting overall excellence in teaching during the 2020-2021 school year. Mrs. Moore teaches Family and Consumer Science courses at MSM and also serves as advisor to the school’s award-winning Mercian Yearbook.
Congratulations to all of our outstanding students for their academic accomplishments, especially this year’s scholarship recipients (in order of appearance during event):
- McAuley Achievement Award: Millie Allgood ’22, May Barnett ’24, Ellen Brady ’22, Olivia Coppens ’22, Alexis Coy ’23 and Kathyrn Morris ’23
- Sr. Deborah Troillett, RSM ’73 Endowed Scholarship: Annie Wendel ’22
- Mary Drake Scholarship: Megan Denery ’23
- Spirit of ’95 Scholarship: Mimi Baldwin ’22
- Class of 2009 SISTER Scholarship: Belle Mentgen ’23
- Sandra Gueydan Hickey ’66 Scholarship: Ahmaya Graves-Young ’22
- Alana Wolfe Memorial Scholarship: Ellen Brady
- Wells Pre-Engineering Scholarship: Phoebe Johnson ’22
- Judith Wrappe Scholarship: Grace Chastain ’22, Ashley Kassissieh ’24 and Cate Michaels ’23
- Jennifer Boccarossa Music Scholarship: Belle Mentgen
- Evelyn J. Coulter Thomas ’30 Scholarship: Sydney England ’22 (for fine literature), Gracie Limmer ’22 (for music) and Isabel Wilcox ’22 (for dance)
- Bella Brown “THINK” Scholarship: Amaya Graves-Young
- Melissa Ma ’98 Endowed Scholarship: Haley Draeger ’22
- Ma Family Endowed Scholarship: Isabel Chaidez ’22
We also wish to thank the many donors who have so graciously created these endowed scholarships to assist students. In addition to the ones presented during the Underclass Awards Ceremony, additional scholarships totaling nearly $40,000 were given to seniors during the Senior Recognition Ceremony on May 19.
View the recording of the 2021 Underclass Awards Ceremony at https://youtu.be/ccGyj8sdjyg.
Mount St. Mary Academy, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, develops young women with a moral and intellectual foundation rooted in Catholic tradition. Mercy-minded and college-prepared, our students meet the future with wisdom, compassion and integrity.